If you have greasy hair, find out how much grease is normal and how you can treat it effectively.
How much grease is too much?
When it comes to greasy hair, the main component is balance.
Everyone’s hair is different, which means the amount of grease is linked to the amount of oil they produce.
Sebum is a natural oil, produced by your skin’s sebaceous glands. These glands are present on nearly all parts of your body, except for the palms of your hands and soles of your feet.
They are most concentrated on the face, scalp and upper torso.
Many scientists believe sebum is beneficial for skin and hair, keeping it protected and moisturized.
However, excess sebum buildup can cause problems, like:
- dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis
- oily, greasy skin and hair appearance
- scalp odour
People with “oily” skin types may produce 5 times more oil each day than a typical adult. Oily scalps may make as much as 1 gram of sebum each day!
Common causes of greasy hair:
- a change in hormones
- not washing hair often enough (at least every 2 days)
There are several factors that may affect you if you already have greasy hair. These include:
- styling products – these can trap dirt and oil in your hair, and if they’re not washed out properly they could break down into potentially irritating substances
- the weather – warmer temperatures and humid climates can make greasy hair appear worse, as sweat and melting sebum cause oil to travel down the length of your hair
- the texture of your hair – grease and oil can travel down straight, thin hair more easily than curly, thicker hair
Treating greasy hair
If you are concerned that you have overly greasy hair, you may need to do the following:
- wash your hair once a day – especially if you live in a warm or humid climate
- use styling products sparingly
- use a deep cleaning shampoo to get rid of as much oil and grease as you can
We recommend using our Instant Oil Control or Citrus Breeze Shampoo, which are suited for all types of greasy hair and are effective at keeping your hair visibly flake free1 while also removing product buildup.
More about oily and greasy hair
1 visible flakes with regular use.