An itchy scalp is often caused by dandruff, which needs to be treated by a shampoo that not only relieves itchiness, but stopsdandruff from coming back.
What causes an itchy scalp?
An itchy scalp is a condition you’ll want to get rid of quickly. The uncontrollable urge to scratch your scalp is frustrating and if left untreated, can lead to the scalp becoming more irritated and inflamed.
An itchy scalp is most commonly caused by dandruff.
Dandruff starts with scalp irritation, which triggers your scalp to rapidly shed its outer layer in response.
This condition causes your scalp to feel tight and itchy, and to become flaky and dry.
There are several home remedies that are said to provide relief from itchy scalp, like coconut oil. However, there are also some oddtreatments you wouldn’t normally guess would fit into your hair care routine (and to be honest, they probably shouldn’t!).
5 odd remedies for an itchy scalp
Here are a few remedies we found on the Internet that claim to treat an itchy scalp:
1. Baking soda – this has a much higher pH than normal skin; it actually shouldn’t be in contact with skin for verylong, or it could cause irritation
2. Onion juice – no one will enjoy the smell, and it won’t get rid of the itch either
3. Olive oil, mayonnaise and broccoli purée – this remedy sounds delicious paired with some roast chicken, but it’snot for your hair
4. Banana and avocado mash – it’s certainly nutritious but this combination should stay in your lunchbox
5. Garlic juice and olive oil – a greasy scalp that smells like garlic means you won’t be going anywhere out in publicsoon
While these remedies all sound very fun and natural to try, they unfortunately don’t tackle the root cause of the itch1 between washes – which means it keeps comingback.
How to treat an itchy scalp fast
An easier way to get rid of an itchy scalp is to use an anti-dandruff shampoo that immediately calms your scalp itch and works at the root cause of the problem to stop it from coming back.
The micro-actives in Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo tackle the root cause of dandruff in between washes to control bothflakes and itch1.
Our Instant Relief Shampoo is a cooling shampoo with tea tree essence and peppermint. It provides quick cooling relieffrom itchiness, plus leaves your hair clean and 100% flake free2.
More about itchy scalp
1 caused by dandruff.
2 visible flakes, with regular use.